Saturday, January 8, 2011

Survival Tin

Here is my custom survival tin. The tin box is originally from an old cough drop brand. The tin is the same size as an Altoids mint tin, however the aluminum design feels a little thicker than the Altoids tin. I purchased this tin from a local drug store and it was the only name brand tin they had. Since that day, I have not seen another Fisherman's Friend tin like this in any store. I carry this survival tin inside my EDC bag and I'm currently looking for any possible improvements on this survival tin. Dimensions of this tin are 4" x 2.5" and when I organized the contents correctly, it prevents the contents from rattling around inside the tin. The lid closes with ease and there is no stress on the contents when the lid is closed.
The purpose of a survival tin is to aid a person in a time of survival while keeping a compact/mobile profile. There are a lot of ways to house your survival items but the survival tin allows for easy transport and functionality. For example, going for a run or walk and need something small and light weight to carry inside your pocket.
If you have an EDC bag that carries all of your survival needs, that’s great! However what if your bag rips or becomes unusable and you don’t have time or the energy to repair it? Then you can pull out this small survival tin and keep moving. As you can see in the picture to the left, this is a snap shot of the contents inside my tin. Here is a small list of what the tin carries. Please comment with any improvements or suggestions.

1. Sewing needles
2. Sewing thread (black + multicolor)
3. Small roll of Duct tape
4. Waterproof Matches
5. Fishing hooks and weights
6. Saftey pins
7. Pencil
8. Sheets of paper x2
8. Razor blade
9. Snare wire
10. Mini wedge bar
11. Can opener P-51
12. Tweezers
13. Fire starter
14. Cotton strands for fire

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my tin inside a Maxpedition Urban Wallet. It fits perfectly, protects it and give me a little more room to carry more stuff without increasing the size of the whole kit by much. It is a great way for me to throw it into a jacket or cargo pockets.

    ReplyDelete